Back to Article List
Choosing a Home Care Provider | Comfort Keepers® of Fredericksburg, VA
Dec 29, 2015 by Comfort Keepers of Fredericksburg
20 Questions to Ask Prospective Home Care Providers in Fredericksburg, VA
Helping you choose from potential caregivers for your loved one
Once you’ve decided that you need in-home care for yourself or a loved one, how can you choose a potential caregiver with confidence? To help you find the ideal solution for your unique needs, Comfort Keepers® Fredericksburg recommends 20 questions to ask your home care provider candidates. The answers can allow you to better evaluate three critical areas of consideration.
- Does your agency carry liability insurance?
- Can your agency provide documentation explaining the client’s rights, your code of ethics, and workers’ compensation and HIPAA compliance?
- Does your agency maintain a business office where I can meet the office staff?
- Does your agency have staff – including a nurse – whom I may contact for information?
- Does your agency provide 24/7 telephone service?
- Does your agency have a systematic method for tracking caregiver arrival and departure times at the client’s home?
- Does your agency make periodic supervisory visits to a client’s home?
- How quickly can your agency initiate service?
- Does your agency conduct national and local criminal background checks and check the driving records of all employees?
- Are caregivers bonded and insured for theft?
- Are potential caregivers considered employees of your company – not contractors – and protected by workers’ compensation?
- Does your agency provide training to potential caregivers, including orientation and ongoing education?
- Does your agency offer the opportunity to meet your potential caregiver prior to receiving services?
Types of Services Available
- Will your agency provide a free in-home assessment prior to starting service?
- Does your agency provide a written plan for care services and clearly describe all rates and fees?
- Does your agency require a minimum number of hours per shift? If so, what is the minimum?
- Do your agency’s services include personal care, such as bathing, incontinence care and mobility assistance?
- Does your agency provide transportation services for clients?
- Does your agency provide backup coverage in the event a caregiver cannot make it to work?
- Can your agency provide emergency monitoring systems, medication solutions and other safety technologies?
With the right information, you can find a trustworthy resource to provide the care you need – whether it’s a few hours of respite care each week so you can take a break from caregiving to recharge, or personal safety systems with 24/7 monitoring to improve your loved one’s safety at home.
Put us to the test. Contact us or call (540) 212-9707 to arrange a consultation with Comfort Keepers Fredericksburg to get the answers you need.