Back to Article List
April Showers Bring May Flowers: Gardening Benefits for Seniors
Apr 7, 2017 by Comfort Keepers of Fredericksburg
Gardening is a simple hobby that many seniors already enjoy doing. Whether they are planting flowers or fruits and vegetables they get a sense of satisfaction from growing and maintaining their plants. In addition to gaining a sense of accomplishment, gardening can provide many benefits for your loved ones’ wellbeing.
Benefits of Seniors Gardening
Even if your loved one does not have a green thumb, they can find solitude and healthy benefits from spending time in a garden.
- Reduce Stress: Spending at least 30 minutes in nature can help improve mood and reduce stress.
- No Travel: With most gardening activities, no travel is required because it is a home based activity. This makes it much easier for seniors to enjoy a hobby they love.
- Increase Energy: Gardening is considered a low-impact exercise, it increases energy by releasing endorphins and getting blood flowing.
- Increase Vitamin D: Spending at least 30 minutes in the sunlight a day increases the exposure to Vitamin D. Which is an important nutrient for seniors to promote their health.
- Improved Motor Skills: Using hand tools, digging holes, and planting seeds or plants helps improve motor skills and dexterity in seniors.
Garden Safety Tips
Even if your loved ones have been gardening for their whole life, it is important that they follow garden safety.
- Ensure that all walkways are flat and slip proof, avoid working in the garden on wet days.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids, like water, especially on warmer day to avoid a heat stroke.
- Wear sunscreen, even if it is over casted, while sun is good for Vitamin D intake, it can also cause sunburns.
- Use knee pads or cushions and wear gloves to protect from any bruising or cuts.
- Try raised garden beds if it is hard for your loved ones to bend down and work directly in the ground.
At Comfort Keepers® our compassionate caregivers provide your loved one with companionship, whether it is around the clock or for a couple of hours a week. Our Comfort Keepers® provide unique care for your loved ones to ensure they live an independent life in the comfort of their own home. For more information regarding what in home services our Comfort Keepers can provide call us at (540) 205-8743 or click here.